Erith are proud to announce being identified as an industry supporter of CL:AIRE’s JIWG Code of Practice – the Joint Industry Working Group for Asbestos in Soil and Construction and Demolition Materials. The JIWG was establishes to forge partnerships between industry leading organisations that are looking to work together to meet the challenges posed by asbestos in soil and construction/demolition materials. Long term aims of the Consortium include:
- Development of a consistent harmonised approach to the regulation, investigation, analysis, assessment and management of asbestos in soil
- Development of a practical practitioner guidance
- Development of the relevant industry professional qualification framework for asbestos in soils for the brownfield and asbestos management sectors
- Engagement with the principal regulatory bodies for asbestos – the Health & Safety Executive, the Environment Agency and representatives of Local Authority Contaminated Land Officers
- Promotion and development of an improvement in public and stakeholder awareness of relevant issues
Barry Menzies, Erith’s Technical Director and current member of JIWG commented: “It is important that industry expertise unite in addressing the challenges confronted with asbestos in the soil and construction & demolition materials and implement a strategy which is both pragmatic and sustainable long term”.
For further information, please click here.